Skip to main content

DotNetNuke (dnn) HelloWorld build issues resolution

My First or I should say many tries HelloWorld sample project:

I downloaded the visual studio template of dotnetnuke from dnn site and ran the compilation and build method in visual studio but to my surprise their were errors, and I had no clue as to why such erros are happening.

First, I applied the update to "References" in "My Project" (double click) properties, I added a reference path to the bin folder of a complete dnn install (or use source code) which removed the yellow warnings for DotNetNuke.dll and Microsoft Application Block dll.

Once the dll were referenced correctly, I was able to remove many issues, then their was a new issue of Text is not a member of System.Web.UI.UserControl. That was one error I just wasn't able to figure out until I stumbled upon a dotnetnuke forum where a user said about fixing the error by changing the vb code file, well guess what in microsoft visual studio 2008 the file it is no longer the code file but it is an extra file called "EditHelloWorld.ascx.designer.vb" now how in the world will I be able to figure that out unless I was working big time in VS, but any way I guess i should work more with .Net framework and dotnetnuke.

Needless to say by changing the lines of this file, the issue was fixed and I was able to build the Hello world sample project; Finally!

Error message displayed on before solution worked were:
  • ctlAudit.CreatedByUser
  • ctlAudit.CreatedDate
Changing text in designer.vb file:

Line 35: Protected WithEvents txtContent As  DotNetNuke.UI.UserControls.TextEditor

Line 80: Protected WithEvents ctlAudit As DotNetNuke.UI.UserControls.ModuleAuditControl

To automate the dnn module install and update follow the Sobot Software helpful blog:

DotNetNuke custom modules in C#, develop and debug

This is my take on the dotnetnuke module automation:

rd /S /Q "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)"
md "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)"
md "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)\App_LocalResources"

copy "$(ProjectDir)App_LocalResources\" "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)\App_LocalResources"
copy "$(ProjectDir)*.ascx" "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)"
copy "$(ProjectDir)*.dnn" "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)"
copy "$(ProjectDir)uninstall.*" "$(SolutionDir)Website\DesktopModules\$(ProjectName)"


Popular posts from this blog

Completed UiPath - RPA Developer Advance Training

After a month of training, with late nights and weekends I have completed the UiPath RPA Developer Advance Training. The Level 1 Foundation Training pretty much covered all the basics of Desktop studio and workflows, only draw back was I started with the default foundation course which was for 2016, and all document reference links where pointing to 2016 version. I didn't understand it during the foundation training and kept switching to 2018 version document/page. Only after completing the Foundation course that I realized, I was suppose to have started with the 2018 version of Level 1 Foundation Training, but as it was optional I didn't have to retake the 2018 version, the 2016 was good enough for moving to level 2. The Level 2 Orchestrator 2018.3 Training as good. It gave good understanding of Queue's, Jobs, and schedules and I was able to complete the level two much faster then the level 1. The Level 3 UiPath Advanced Training was bit tough as it involved the a

KB 294807 - IIS Server - PHP FastCGI 500 Error 0xfffffffe

Resolved issue today of IIS Server - PHP FastCGI 500 Error 0xfffffffe by deleting "Windows Temp" folder files. We used Cygwin to customize some permissions of "Windows Temp" folder and after few hours the website stopped working. The search online was giving all kinds of different solution except what I was looking for. I was hoping the stackoverflow will have answers but even this post didn't cover the issue I was running into. Restarting the IIS didn't work, but deleting temp files cleared the issue, but now the problem is how long before the site will go down again? Hope the issue is resolved for ever, if not; I will update this post later.

QlikSense - Custom Form Login Screen

Extension of:  Custom login, logout and error forms for Qlik Sense by RPK QlikSense - Custom Login Screen Install Node on QlikSense Server: URL: Saved at: C:\server-tools\Downloads\Node Installed at: C:\server-tools\Runtime\nodejs\ Keep default options Create Folder: C:\QlikForm Clone git Repository and keep updates private: # Open Shell/Bash/Command Prompt cd /QlikForm # Ref: git clone --bare .git cd QS-Custom-Forms.git git push --mirror<name>/QS-Custom-Forms.git cd .. (go to parent folder) # remove other users repo clone rm -rf QS-Custom-Forms.git # clone witinc private repo git clone<name>/QS-Custom-Forms.git Get latest copy of login pages: # Open She