Skip to main content

PowerBI - Report Embed Error

PowerBI Issues

It was no fun learning about the issue "Report Embed Error" on a production application.

When I started looking at the issue, everything looked find as the Power BI report was there, there were no issues with permissions and no issue with Gateway setup; but then I noticed the Power BI report GUID is no longer the same.

I was wondering how did that happen? 

I looked at all the things and realized that a GUID will stay with the report, just because the developer renames the original file as backup and creates a new file, than that does not mean that the GUID will magically be updated on the backup file rather than the new file.

It's a simple and easy to understand thing, but very hard to catch at first glance.

If the GUID is such a important factor on a Power BI Embed solution, than there should have been some type of heads up or warning notification.

One would have hoped that while publishing a new report with same name as a previously published report, Power BI will alert or show that a report with similar name is already hosted and this new report being published with receive a new GUID.

If it is just a share issue with one or two users, then the following steps would be helpful.

For such a issue, the easiest solution is to "Share" the new report with "Read and reshare" option, with the same account as Azure App account, that is used for power bi embed solution.

Keep in mind:

Power BI Desktop (try to keep single developer or generic company login for publishing), confirm by checking "Share" option, that the account used in Azure has access.

Azure Portal: Make sure to have "App Registration" and "Enterprise App" (One is used for user login with email and password, and another is used by website embed solution)

If it is a web embed issue where the report is hosted on one or more production application, than it will require a leg work.

First embed solution for the web application requires the unique GUID reference to get the exact report.

When the GUID gets changed due to different user publishing the report or the name being changed, which then returns a new GUID, one will need to update the web application configuration to use the new GUID.


changes for whatever reason than 


Website: Make sure you call authentication option with email and password first to get the token, then call the API authentication to get report access for embed. (There may be a better solution in future, so use the latest method).


Popular posts from this blog

Completed UiPath - RPA Developer Advance Training

After a month of training, with late nights and weekends I have completed the UiPath RPA Developer Advance Training. The Level 1 Foundation Training pretty much covered all the basics of Desktop studio and workflows, only draw back was I started with the default foundation course which was for 2016, and all document reference links where pointing to 2016 version. I didn't understand it during the foundation training and kept switching to 2018 version document/page. Only after completing the Foundation course that I realized, I was suppose to have started with the 2018 version of Level 1 Foundation Training, but as it was optional I didn't have to retake the 2018 version, the 2016 was good enough for moving to level 2. The Level 2 Orchestrator 2018.3 Training as good. It gave good understanding of Queue's, Jobs, and schedules and I was able to complete the level two much faster then the level 1. The Level 3 UiPath Advanced Training was bit tough as it involved the a

KB 294807 - IIS Server - PHP FastCGI 500 Error 0xfffffffe

Resolved issue today of IIS Server - PHP FastCGI 500 Error 0xfffffffe by deleting "Windows Temp" folder files. We used Cygwin to customize some permissions of "Windows Temp" folder and after few hours the website stopped working. The search online was giving all kinds of different solution except what I was looking for. I was hoping the stackoverflow will have answers but even this post didn't cover the issue I was running into. Restarting the IIS didn't work, but deleting temp files cleared the issue, but now the problem is how long before the site will go down again? Hope the issue is resolved for ever, if not; I will update this post later.

QlikSense - Custom Form Login Screen

Extension of:  Custom login, logout and error forms for Qlik Sense by RPK QlikSense - Custom Login Screen Install Node on QlikSense Server: URL: Saved at: C:\server-tools\Downloads\Node Installed at: C:\server-tools\Runtime\nodejs\ Keep default options Create Folder: C:\QlikForm Clone git Repository and keep updates private: # Open Shell/Bash/Command Prompt cd /QlikForm # Ref: git clone --bare .git cd QS-Custom-Forms.git git push --mirror<name>/QS-Custom-Forms.git cd .. (go to parent folder) # remove other users repo clone rm -rf QS-Custom-Forms.git # clone witinc private repo git clone<name>/QS-Custom-Forms.git Get latest copy of login pages: # Open She